Fusion Background Replacement

We are proud to introduce a Fusion masterclass in background replacements with instructor Lee Lanier! With 7 easy-to-follow video lessons,  you will learn advanced techniques that can be used to create complex and stunning effects inside of DaVinci Resolve Fusion or with the standalone version of BlackMagic Design Fusion.

The project files and footage are available for download so that you can easily follow along.

About the instructor

Lee Lanier has created visual effects on numerous features films for Walt Disney Studios and PDI/DreamWorks. Lee is a world-renowned expert in the video effects field, and has written several popular high-end software books, and taught at the Gnomon School of Visual Effects in Hollywood.

Who is this course designed for?

Editors, Colorists, Compositors and other finishing artists

Some of the topics

  • Motion tracking
  • Stabilization
  • Rotoscoping building-elements and face
  • Fine-tuning roto shapes
  • Inserting sky in the background
  • Adding grain
  • Simple color correction

Software required

A free version of DaVinci Resolve or the free standalone version of Fusion

Get access

Enjoy the two first lessons for free, and become a premium member to access the full course.

Become a Premium Member



  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

User Feedback

Recommended Comments



Thanks for doing such a good job on this presentation. Think I can now tackle some of my footage, that has been on standby...

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks, for this tutorial! Very helpful.

I'm having a hard time getting a track and am wondering if it's a software issue or if I'm doing something wrong. I've attached a screen grab. I can get a solid result with only one tracker, but not more than one.

 

Screen Shot 2018-10-20 at 3.18.09 PM.png

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Craig Harris said:

Thanks, for this tutorial! Very helpful.

I'm having a hard time getting a track and am wondering if it's a software issue or if I'm doing something wrong. I've attached a screen grab. I can get a solid result with only one tracker, but not more than one.

 

Screen Shot 2018-10-20 at 3.18.09 PM.png

Quick update:

I was able to get a good track by expanding the tracking boxes like you suggested in the second video.

  • Like 2

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you! How to add a glow (like a backlight) to woman's face? She is standing against a light source (sky). So I'd like to add some inner glow.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2019 at 1:59 PM, Anton Meleshkevich said:

Thank you! How to add a glow (like a backlight) to woman's face? She is standing against a light source (sky). So I'd like to add some inner glow.

You can use the rotoscoped version of her head created in the tutorial. Branch the rotoscoped output to color correction, blur, and/or glow tools. Merge the output of that back on top of the final composite.

Edited by Lee Lanier

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2018 at 3:11 PM, Craig Harris said:

Quick update:

I was able to get a good track by expanding the tracking boxes like you suggested in the second video.

Glad that worked. Motion tracking can be very sensitive to tracking box sizes and placement. You generally have to experiment to see what works best.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Lee,

Thanks so much for all of your videos here and I've watched some of your others on Lynda too. I was wondering how you would mimic a reverse stabilize after the final merge instead of keyframing the crop offset? Thank you again and I'm excited to continuing working thru all your lessons.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jake Keller said:

Hi Lee,

Thanks so much for all of your videos here and I've watched some of your others on Lynda too. I was wondering how you would mimic a reverse stabilize after the final merge instead of keyframing the crop offset? Thank you again and I'm excited to continuing working thru all your lessons.

Thanks for watching. You could apply the tracking data with the Unsteady Position option via the Center XY parameter of an additional Transform tool. Steady Position is an inverted Unsteady Position, where Unsteady Position moves the input as if shot by the original camera. That might be a good approach if you wish to replicate the original camera motion and not generate new motion through keyframing..

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone else having issue tracking in the new version of Resolve/Fusion 16? I have tried these projects in both the standalone and in Reslove without much luck getting it to work. Seems that the tracker may be broken in these versions or just really doesnt like this footage.

 

Update: leaving the tracker at its default size allowed it to track properly ...

Edited by Regi Ellis

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites



Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.